Saturday, October 20, 2012

SPECIAL BABY PROJECT


I wanted to show off a special little onsie I made for a new little boy coming into this world.
 
What I did was free hand a pattern on cardboard of a tie.  Then I laid it down on some really cute little boy fabric and cut around it.   

I like to keep an iron very close at hand when I’m sewing.  When it was all cut out I turned it over and folded the edge over just about 1/8 to 1/2 over, all the way around the edge.  Iron that down so it will be very easy to sew around the edge.  This process help it from not fraying.   I like to use a zig zag .. this part is all just for decoration so it looks like it was sewed down..

Really your not going to sew it down.  I buy wonder bond.  I buy the heavy duty.  What this does is when you iron it to one side of the fabric then peel the paper off the other it creates a iron on transfer just about out of anything.   So I cut a piece of this wonder bond just about the exact size of the item your going to make into the transfer.   Now it never is exact and since this is very heavy glue always get a piece of wax or parchment paper, even a paper bag will work, and lay that over the item, between the iron and the fabric.  This way any part of the wonder bond that is sticking out will not stick to the iron and ruin it for life.  

Now all you need to do is peel away the paper on the back side of what you just ironed and it is ready to iron on to your fabric.  Again use your wax or parchment paper just in case. 
Make sure you let is cool completely before you test it.  While it’s still hot it will peel off the fabric and look like it didn’t work.   Just be patient. 

So here is the finished project.
Close up of just the tie.
Isn’t that the cutest fabric. 

Signature Lips

No comments: