Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WEEKLY RECIPE REDO

Chicken & Cheese Lasagna Roll ups. 

Here is the original recipe, which I found on iVillage.com.   Look at how yummy these are.  As soon as I saw them my taste buds clicked into high gear.
Remember my goal was going to cook three times a week but realistically there is no way I can do it. I have so many projects going on (which you will be seeing very shortly, *wink* *wink*) that there is no way I can cook a full meal that many times a week.  I decided that once a week would be just fine.  Another thing is that I want to try to bring back a tradition.  Since I was little we would head to my grandma’s house on Sundays.  A big breakfast or dinner was routine.  So I am going to try to keep that tradition alive with the kids and my cousin Heather.  She is feeling a little alone with her immediate family and I want her to know that this is her house.  That this is her family and she can count on us anytime, plus I need someone that is crazy enough to be my the Guinea Pig.  LOL.

Check out how easy this recipe is.   Only 8 items.  2 Prep Steps & if you can spread peanut butter on a piece of bread and roll it up you have dinner made.  

Ingredients
3 cups chopped cooked chicken  ( I used 1 lb ground chicken)
** ok so I changed just one thing. 
1/4 cup milk
1 cup Ricotta cheese
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
8 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups Prego Spaghetti Sauce 

Mix all the cheese and milk together in a bowl. Cook the noodles & drain. 
That’s if for prep!  

Any monkey can do it. I did it just fine.  LOL.  

Next spread a little sauce on the bottom of the dish.  Take your noodle and lay it out.  Spread your cheese mix along the noodle and roll.  Place it in the dish seam side down. 
Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!
Once your dish is full of roll ups take the rest of your sauce and spread on top.  I added a little extra parmesan on top.  Then cover and cook.  375 degrees for 30 mins. 

I did everything exactly as the instructions called for so what the heck happened.  Mine did not look anything like the picture. 
Lasagna Roll Ups
I'm sure the horrible picture doesn't help. 
Well what the heck.  Who cares what it looks like before the oven.  I popped it in and 30 minutes later here’s how it looked.
Lasagna Roll Ups - Cooked
The exact same!
DSCN1841


It just didn’t matter how it looks.  It was soooo good that we didn’t have time to care what it looked like.  We scarfed it down so fast that I had to check the pictures to remember what it looked like.
 
All in all I think there are only two things that I would do different.
#1 I would add Mozzarella Cheese to the mixture and then grade it on top.  There is no way you can ever have enough cheese in Italian food.
#2 Forget the silly rolling up.  Just layer, layer, layer.  There wasn’t any difference between regular Lasagna & these roll ups but rolling the noddle.  Forget it. 

The most important part is that everyone liked it.  It was healthy and no left overs to clean up.

I've got to get back to crafing.  I have a great project to show you tomorrow. 



No comments: