Friday, September 14, 2012

PILLOW REDO

I have had this project on my to do list for soooo long.  I finally had to bite the bullet and just get it checked off my list.  I think I kept putting it off since I really don’t sew.  I took “home Ec” back in grade school.  Yea that’s how long ago it was.. they don’t even call the class that anymore.  I made a shirt back then but really it ended up looking like a pillowcase with three hole in it.  It was horrible!

Then when my first daughter was born I made her a dress.  It was amazing!  It had a zipper in the back and she wore it all the time.  I have no idea how I did it other than I am an educated person and can read a pattern.   That didn’t help the first time so I am chalking it up to those mom hormones  surging through me and made me like a sewing super woman.
So here I was sitting in front of my new sewing machine.  I say new, even though I have had it for at least a year.  It’s still new since this is probably the first real sewing project I have done on it.  

Isn’t she cute?  The basics of the machine world but heck I never could have more gadgets on it.  I barley know what I’m doing.. thank goodness for pictures on the knobs.  LOL. 
I have two large pillows that desperately needed to be recovered.  I have no pillows on my couch right now and I thought it would be a fun project.  Plus have you seen the price of pillows .. Holly CrapOlly! 

These are large pillows but perfect for the couch.  I went down to Hobby Lobby to find some fabric.  After looking and dreaming of really beautiful pillow fabric, which was around $15 (on the low end) and up to $20 a yard, I found in the clearance area some great striped fabric that ended up to work just fine.  Remember with all my 4 legged babies at home I do not have a hootie tootie living room.  I have a very lived in living room so nothing fancy for us.   These are just going to be snuggle up and watch a movie pillows.


The best part of this fabric was the price.  Only $7.99!  It was originally double that.



So I measure, cut, buy zippers that are made for jackets, and start sewing.  I bought the heavier duty zippers.  We are not very careful people here and zippers don’t seem to last.  I want to be able to take the covers off and on often to wash them. 
I know I didn’t put or sew these zippers in the official way,  Not the way you’re suppose to sew a zipper in.  In fact I don’t think I know what the official way  is.. LOL, but my sewing job worked non the less.

Wait, I’ll let you be the judge of that.  What do you think? 


I really like the fabric and look, the zipper works great and looks like it’s part of the pillow.  





Just don’t get your magnifying glasses out and do an inspection.  Like I said, it was sewn Big Mamma’s way, not the right way.  LOL  I crack myself up.


Signature Lips

1 comment:

curlyqmosaics said...

I think you and I have parallel lives in the sewing world! I totally took sewing in home ec 20+ years too, without much to show for it now. My mom bought me a new sewing machine for Christmas several years back, and only recently did I take it out of the box to try it out. I admire that you took
The plunge and even put in zippers! Those can be very tricky to work with from what I hear. You did a fabulous job on the pillows! We are talking baby steps for me. I have only sewn on paper so far. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I really appreciate it! :)