Friday, January 18, 2013

Chalkboard Coasters

Hey everyone,  I know it's been a little bit.  I got hit by that flu not just once but twice.  First it was back in the beginning of December.  My son then got it and now he gave it back to me.  It's like a flue petri dish in my house.  UGHHH!  I hope it is over with now
I wanted to show you another Christmas gift I made.

CHALKBOARD COASTERS.
Just go to your local hardware store and get plain white ceramic tiles.  They were .14 cents each.  That's nothing.  I  also bought self stick felt pads, and of course a can of chalkboard spray paint.


I laid them all out on my spray board and started spraying them.  I tend to do a lot of light coats instead of trying to get it done quick.   It really is the best way not to get any runs in the paint.  Also put on a lot of coats.  I suggest at least 5 to 6 thin coats but it goes fast .. this stuff dries pretty darn fast.




Nice and smooth.  Then just flip them over...


and pop on those felt pads.  I wanted to make sure the pads were very secure so I also used my glue gun in addition to the sticky the pads already had. 


One thing a lot of people don't know about, is that anything you make that is "chalkboard" painted, you have to prime it.  Priming a chalkboard painted surface just mean to take a piece of chalk and run it length wise across the surface of the item.  Back and forth to create a coating of chalk then wipe it off.  Do this a couple of times.  Have you ever seen a chalkboard that even if you wipe it down you can still see writing on it.  Like the writing will never go away.  This is because it was not primed correctly. 

Gotta get back to my Valentines making.  Will have cards to show you soon.
Signature%2520Lips%255B5%255D

No comments: