Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Another great recipe redo.

This Sunday I started surfing and remembered I had pinned to my food board a Wonton Taco recipe that I had thought looked good and it was time to try it out.  I had come by the recipe from a little favorite blog called Heart Mind & Seoul.  Great play on words, huh?  Her tacos really caught my eye.
She used beef and of course I used chicken. 
The other ingredients I used:
2 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast.
1/2 cp sweet n spicy bbq sauce.
1/2 cp teriyaki sauce.
1 cp shredded cheese
Won Ton squares
In a sauce pan I put my chicken, bbq sauce and teriyaki sauce together to simmer.  This way the chicken will cook and create a great flavor that is imbedded in the chicken. I just set it to low, covered it and let it go for about 7 min to 10 mins.
Won Ton Tacos.1
I don’t know if any of you have ever used this particular kind of teriyaki sauce but it is our favorite. Veri Veri Teriyaki is kosher and all natural.  It’s thicker and has sesame seeds in it.  It’s also not so salty like so many other teriyaki sauces out there.  Our favorite bbq sauce is Sweet Baby Rays .
Won Ton Tacos.2
After the chicken is cooked take it out and shred it all up.  I just take two forks at it and start pulling it apart.   I throw all the chicken in a bowl & add the cheese.  The sauce that is left over from cooking the chicken, I set it aside for later.  Mix all the chicken and cheese together in the bowl, now your ready to create your taco.  
Won Ton Tacos.3
Making the wontons really isn’t rocket science.  Just hold the wonton in your palm and put a scoop of your meat mixture in it.  I keep a little bowl of water close by, which I use to close up the wonton at the top.  I just wet my fingers and pinch the top close.
I lined a cookie sheet with wax paper, sprayed it with oil so nothing would stick and lined up all my little tacos.
Won Ton Tacos.4
Won Ton Tacos.5
I’m really sorry about the picture quality.  I really have a great camera but still haven’t learned all the settings.   
Back to our wonton’s.  Remember the sauce I had mentioned about setting aside.  I now brush each wonton over the top and sides with the sauce.  This will give it a nice flavor and brown it up a little bit better.  The wonton will brown up all on it’s own, this just gives it a better head start.
Won Ton Tacos.6
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and pop them in for about 15 minutes.  Remember everything is cooked already so this is just to brown up the wonton and make it crunchy. 
Won Ton Tacos.7
We chopped up some lettuce and put a little dollop of sour cream and man these were so good.  They really aren’t a dinner, more of an appetizer or would be perfect for hors d'oeuvres.  (really both are the exact same thing.. haha) 
Won Ton Tacos.8
Like I have said before our family isn’t your conventional everyday Harriet and Ozzie kind of family.   We are more of snackers than meal people so really this is our kind of dinner. 
I'm going to link this up at The Kurtz Corner - Tuesday Tutorials.  If your looking for other awesome ideas swing by there and check all of them out. 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Not to be all "Ms. Know it All", but that's me. :)

When using sauce that raw meat has been cooked in, you should other, NOT use that sauce, or bring that sauce to a boil for a few minutes, to make sure all the raw meat stuff is cooked out of it.

:)

Lori said...

Wow! This looks great!